Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to a structure fire reported at 990 Church St. on Friday, Feb. 7. When firefighters arrived, they found the kitchen of the home on fire. The occupants were able to escape without injury before firefighters arrived. The fire was quickly extinguished and confined to the kitchen area. The fire was caused by a pot of wax heating on the stove and left unattended. Red Cross was called to assist the family.
Long-time Orange resident Levell Manuel is turning 90 on Saturday, Feb. 8, and she is celebrating with the entire city of Orange after Mayor Jimmy Sims and the Orange City Council declared her birthday to be Mrs. Manuel Day in the city.
While Beaumont Independent School District employees have been told that assistant superintendent for secondary schools Patricia Adams Collins Lambert is missing workdays due to a hurt arm, rumblings around the district water cooler claim that Lambert’s health is not the real reason she has been missing in action.
Some criminals never learn, and Orange has definitely had its share of repeat offenders. This week, a man arrested for public intoxication and for suspected PCP use in January was again arrested in Orange, this time after reportedly stealing a car.
While we harbor no disrespect for the Wall Street Journal who called us “that scrappy little paper from Southeast Texas,” we prefer to think of ourselves as simple seekers of the truth. We’re of the opinion that headlines and sound bites never tell the whole story. Our readers demand all the facts, facets and flavors of every story or event. And, they expect to be informed, educated and stirred to action.