Beaumont firefighters save sleeping citizen

Beaumont firefighters save sleeping citizen

Two structure fires within mere minutes of each other kept fire units busy in the early morning hours of Saturday, June 21, the Beaumont Fire Department reports. One of those incidents could have proven fatal for a Beaumont citizen had firefighters not arrived when they did, according to a news release.

At 1:39 a.m., Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to a structure fire in the 2000 block of South Street. When firefighters arrived they found that the attic space of the house in flames. As crews worked to contain the conflagration, other firefighters searched the home and found an occupant, unconscious, in a front bedroom. The 55-year-old victim was treated by Beaumont EMS at the scene and transported to Baptist Hospital where he was then flown by Air Rescue to a hospital in Galveston for further treatment for respiratory problems. One firefighter suffered a shoulder injury while battling the blaze. He was transported by Beaumont EMS to St. Elizabeth Hospital where he was treated and released. The fire appears to have been caused by an electrical short in the attic.

At 1:55 a.m., Beaumont Fire Rescue units responded to another structure fire in the 1600 block of Washington Boulevard. When firefighters arrived there, they found a small fire in a bedroom of a rear apartment. The occupants were able to escape without injury. The fire was confined to the bedroom and appears to have been caused by a cigarette.



Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.